Welcome to the Caddo Connection

This forum was created to allow Caddo members to ask questions, network, and engage in general discussion regarding the Caddo Nation.

The forum administrator reserves the right to delete inappropriate posts and to ban abusers from this site.

Welcome to the Caddo Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Con''t of Brenda's letter

- Elderly living center (16 units), purchased in 2011
- Halfmoon Circle renovation (20 units) 15 completed 5 complete in 2013
- Purchase of 8 houses
- Down payment assistance
- Minor/Major rehab assistance
- 2013 construction of an Elders Community Center to be located in
in Anadarko, OK ($800,000 project/HUD grant).

The Caddo Nation acquired a total of twenty-six (26) FEMA mobile homes to assist tribal members in acquiring a home that may not have been affordable otherwise. The cost to acquire each mobile home was less than two thousand dollars ($2,000), which was only the transportation cost to relocate the mobile home from out of state to the Caddo Nation complex. Mobile home owners were determined by lottery.

I am proud to report to you that the Caddo Nation is strong and we have remained a stable government, and that is such a proud fact. Investors and business partners will not deal with unstable tribal governments and that has been a major factor for the lack of economic growth.

We have seen growth and 2013 will prove to be a profitable year for us. We have demonstrated our stability as a Nation, especially through the challenges we have faced over the last two years. New partnerships and business ventures are once again at our table and we are optimistic that these opportunities will prove successful for the Caddo Nation.

We are currently talking to potential investors to build a travel plaza that will include a gaming area and a smoke shop. This facility will be located near our headquarters.

We are exploring wind energy and are currently performing our due diligence and feasibility studies.

The Cobell lawsuit afforded the Caddo Nation the opportunity to file a claim against the United States government. This case was originated in 2006 during my first four years on the Tribal Council. At the beginning of 2013, we entered into negotiations to settle our case with the United States government.

In Closing:

I feel that I have upheld my oath of office, but what matters most is how you feel. I strive each day to bring goodness to our people to represent our Caddo people in a positive manner to continue to promote growth and prosperity for our Caddo Nation.

I want to express how gratifying it has been to meet so many of our members over the past four years. I thank you for the phone calls, the emails, and the visits to my office. The opportunity to meet and get acquainted with more tribal members has been a personal blessing to me. Please note that our tribal election is July 13, 2013. I have included a voter registration form, on which you can request an absentee ballot. This form MUST be postmarked by July 3, 2013 please return your completed form to the Caddo Nation Election Board, P. O. Box 304, Binger, OK 73009

Again, I would like to express my sincere gratitude for allowing me the privilege of being Chairman of the Caddo Nation and I am respectfully requesting the opportunity, the honor, and the privilege to be re-elected on July 13, 2013.

Sincerely,

Brenda Shemayme Edwards, Chairman

Re: Con''t of Brenda's letter

No, Brenda, there has been no growth under your direction. The Elder Center purchased in 2011, Halfmoon Circle renovation, Purchase of 8 houses, Down payment assistance, Minor/Major rehab assistance, 2013 construction of an Elders Community Center, all was accomplished by Luke Toyebo, interim Housing Director, before you hired a Housing Director. Understand he worked for the C&A's and left there. Heard under iffy conditions, don't know.

You were not on the Housing Board while Luke Toyebo was the interim Director, did not attend meetings until the new Director was hired. HAD ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE POSITIVE HOUSING PROGRAM. Also understand at least the last Housing Meeting was held in OKC, of course, had to stay overnight if you did not live there. Then did not stay at the meeting, some of you and your followers had to go take your picture with someone you considered more important than learning and being involved in the Housing Program. MEETINGS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN HELD EITHER AT HALFMOON CIRCLE OR THE CADDO COMPLEX.

Now, your letter states "I have witnessed many successes, some bigger than others, but all successful in my eyes".

Your biggest success was your ability, with the help of Caddo Security and the BIA's complete absence and refusal to look at and make decisions on the material submitted to them by a legal Council of five (5), a quorum, to keep your $20.00 an hour and your husbands salary, which together, with benefits is over $100,000 per year. This has gone on for four (4) years.

What you managed, with the above help, including, Gina Sage, Carla Guy, Diana Woodward and others, was to illegally keep five (5) legal Council Members from entering the Complex. You have held meetings with what you consider a quorum of three(3), passing 18 to 20 motions, including in these motions to put Carla Guy and Kenny Poindexter on the Council (illegally) to make your quorum. This was great because you were the tie breaker. You also managed to put on an illegal Election Board and Hearing Board, even though the Hearing Board was never utilized.

You managed to get this Council to vote to give your "Executive Secretary" Gina Sage, a list of all the Registered Voters to use in your run for re-election. The other candidates were not allowed access to that list.

There were two (2) removals on you, one the Vice-Chair would not hold, the other, we were not allowed in the building to hold. There was then a valid "Recall Petition" on you and the Election Board, under your direction would not allow the signatures to be validated. Then the Council of five (5) legally removed you in September 2012. You will be required to pay back that money you have been paid since your removal as will the employees who were given termination letters.

You held an illegal recall on Jennifer Reeder, sixty eight (68) days after receiving the petition and on the same day, had the membership to vote that I had been illegal since 2010. You then proceeded to illegally remove Todd Goodman, Marilyn Threlkeld and Teresa Keller was, by your standards, so insignificant she simply failed to exist. THESE ARE FIVE (5), A QUORUM, OF LEGAL COUNCIL MEMBERS THAT YOU, AGAIN WITH THE HELP OF THE SECURITY GUARDS AND THE BIA, DENIED ENTRANCE TO THE CADDO NATION COMPLEX.

No, the Caddo Nation is not strong and does not have a stable government. IT HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO ITS KNEES BY YOURSELF,YOUR ILLEGAL COUNCIL AND OTHERS.

You state "New partnerships and business ventures are once again at our table and we are optimistic that these opportunities will prove successful for the Caddo nation". You state "We are currently talking to potential investors to build a travel plaza that will include a gaming area and a smoke shop".

While the Council five (5), that you denied access to was still allowed to enter the building, we had at least two (2) investors to meet with us, one of them being Global Gaming (I think), the Chickasaws. They told the Council they would not work with Rick Grellner and you tossed them aside. You have made no effort to bring anything to the Tribe.

When did you start this business venture, after 3 1/2 years as Chair and a few months before asking to be re-elected? AND BASED ON YOUR MAILING AND TELEPHONE CALLS ASKING TO BE RE-ELECTED, I HAVE A FEELING, OR AT LEAST THERE IS A REAL POSSIBILITY THAT "MR. GRELLNER" WILL ONCE AGAIN BE INVOLVED IN THE CADDO NATION.

And, you are stable and taking care of business! What happened to the money at WCD Enterprises????

Answers please!!!!!!!

"