Welcome to the Caddo Connection

This forum was created to allow Caddo members to ask questions, network, and engage in general discussion regarding the Caddo Nation.

The forum administrator reserves the right to delete inappropriate posts and to ban abusers from this site.

Welcome to the Caddo Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Letter written by Don Wauahdooah for Kennys District Meeting

Thought this letter provided to Kenny Poindexter, OKC Representative, from Mr Don Wauahdooah, Business Manager, to share with his OKC constituents might be of interest. As you can see Mr. Wauahdooah has had a very positive impact on Caddo Tribal operations.

Caddo Nation Status Report for Kenny Poindexter, November 5, 2008

In response to your request that I attend your meeting on November 6th in Norman, I regret to inform you and the Oklahoma City area tribal membres that I had a previous commitment to attend my granddaughters Dance Recital on this date. So, the following report will address some fo the ongoing activities in tribal government.

Finance Office:

The finance office personnel have been undergoing an intense training schedule in using the new finance software and also understanding the concept of governmental accounting.

In previous years, neither finance office personnel nor any of the Acting Business Managers had virtually little experience in Accounting Principles. Almost all of the tribal finances were out of control. When I was hired as Business manager, one of the first areas I looked at was the Accounting Office Procedures. It was apparent the office personnel had little or no experience in governmental accounting that is needed to maintain financial accountability. The end result was that Treasury paid for most of the government expense when federal programs were supposed to contribute federal funds to support indirect cost Activity. The tribe had been delinquent in collecting allowable Indirect Cost from the programs as well as covering the cost of writing and distributing checks that had insufficient funds to pay the check. The Bank paid the checks but Treasury was hit with an insufficient fund charge that resulted in Bank Charges in the Amount of 18-20,000 dollars a year for at least the past 3 years. When I analyzed the financial situation of the Treasury, I determined that our systems were out of control and we were spending treasury funds without regard to consequences. I reported to the Tribal Council that unless we stopped operating as we were, we would run out of funds to operate tribal government in July or august of 2009. In June 2008 the Tribal Council gave authorization to my office to make the necessary adjustments to correct the deficiencies in our operations.

Actions Taken:

The following are some of the corrective measures that were taken to resolve a financial crisis.

1. Implemented an Internal Financial Management Contril Procedures Document.

2. Started a program in finance to complete 269 and 272 reports internally.

3. Began collection of Allowable Indirect Cost Funds from Federal and Tribally Funded Programs.

4. Developed a Contract Compliance Office.

5. Started retraining of Accounting Personnel. Hired an experienced Fee Accountant to train finance office personnel.

6. Purchase Non Profit Accounting Software and brought in Software Training Personnel to provide onsite training for finance staff and Tax Office employees.

7. With the help of the Fee Accountant, began cross training personnel in finance to accomplish continuity to the office.

These are just some fo the changes that are continuing in the Finance Area. I am confident that additional changes are forthcoming when our first phase of training is complete.

With all of the good work by committed employees throughout tribal government, we have enjoyed major accomplished. Our Staff was able to perform task that in most cases, were foreign to what they had been doing previously, and are able to see that progress is being made through their efforts.

Major Accomplishments:

1. Tribal Treasury Funds have been restored to a manageable state.

2. Changes in expenses for the Treasury Budget Funds for 2008 resulted in savings of $83,000.

3. Indirect Cost Collections of approximately $400,000 over the last 3 months of FY 08 from federal programs save an additional $300,000 of Treasury funds.

4. Employees paid from Treasury were reduced from 10 to 4 employees resulting in a reduction in treasury expense.

5. The Tribal Government Budget for 2009 operations is fully funded as are appropriations for tribally funded operations that include the Election Board, Museum and Burial.

6. The Tribal Government Budget for 09 is approximately $75,000 less than 08.

7. Eliminated the "Check on Demand" system that has cost the tribe literally hundreds of thousands of dollars over an unknown period of time. No money in an account, no check released. This will save tribal government $20,000 in 09.

Additionally, we have taken over control of short term investments of Tribal Funds held by our Bank to insure that Tribal Government is in control of tribal assets.

Continued:

Re: Letter written by Don Wauahdooah for Kennys District Meeting

It is appalling that our finance department let go on for so long. $20,000 in overdraft charges!!! No wonder our chairman wouldn't let the Council 5 or the new council see the books.

Re: Letter written by Don Wauahdooah for Kennys District Meeting

Everyone, including the council, has got to realize the election board funding and the caddo tribal funds go hand in hand. If yo dont have the funds for that out of control election board spending, then cut that budget. Heard Benitez still getting a salary? her auntie, won't sign the council resolution? Don't understand.