This forum should now be compatible with mobile devices and iPads

Mammoth Lifestyle & Fitness's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Has anyone ever ridden Hardnott Pass?

I had the joy of riding the Fred Whitton Challenge in the Lake District yesterday. I would highly recommend it. However, after 100 miles of wind and driving rain, you are presented with the challenge of climbing Hardnott & Wrynose Passes from the coastal side. This is at a point whereby you have completed 7 Lakeland Passes already! It is extraordinary. I had to chuckle.

Has anyone ever ridden the climb? Or the event? 112 miles of relentless climbing on a superbly well marked and marshalled route.

GF.

Re: Has anyone ever ridden Hardnott Pass?

I pushed a bike over it in 1978 on a 3 week youth hostel tour, and then enjoyed the mad descent and rode over Wrynose.

Driving over it again last October, I was appalled at the state of the road surface on the Wrynose side and I thought about how dangerous it would be on the Fred Whitton. It's difficult to get traction on Hard Knott in a car on a wet day....

Well done Gaz.

Well done Gaz.

Is the hardknott pretty severe, I've only ever read about it and it sounds ridiculous.

One in three and paramedics on the descent apparently!

I read a description of the climb in a listing of the '10 toughest climbs in the UK'. It ranked No.1 with the caption 'simply the toughest piece of road in the Land'. It's well worth a drive up to the Lakes!

GF.

Did you have to dab Foordy? I reckon I'd need 34x32 on a dry day with a following hurricane. Keeping the front wheel on the tarmac must be nearly impossible.....

Is that HardKnott or

Hardnut!

Its got to be a bucket tick list thing - in my case it would be the thing that leads to kick the bucket unless on a bike with a 500cc Engine.

Next challenge - Mount Fugi from bottom to top on a uni-cycle lets see you tick that one!

Did I dab you cheeky devil? I had already agreed with myself I was going back down it to try again if the foot came out. Didn't need to go back down.

Used 38 x 28 and once changed down to the 26. Very fortunate to have a tail wind.......DC...looking forward to riding the Alps with you!

GF.

How could I doubt a man of your calibre Foordy?! That's impressive on a 36.6" gear!!....

Back in 1978, I had a single 44T chainring, 3 weeks kit and a 14-28 5 speed block. Managed Wrynose, Honister and Kirkstone on 44x28, but Hard Knott was beyond me......All powered by bacon sarnies and Vesta pack instant noodles....

The cover photo on my Facebook is day 1 of the tour......happy days.

It's certainly on my list of things to do! This is probably my favourite picture of someone climbing it on the Fred but in the dry. I understand the descent towards Wrynose this year was beyond treacherous on the 30% hairpins!

http://www.kingstonwheelers.co.uk/fredwhitton2006.shtml

Hi Gary, if you recall, I rode the Fred Whitton in 2010 & crashed on the descent of the Honister Pass after my rear tub delaminated on the 25% decent. After an hour of getting cleaned up (fantastic support by the paramedics) & wondering how do I get home from here (!) I managed to 'borrow' a wheel from an unfortunate bloke who'd also crashed on the same descent not long after. With a 9-speed campag, a bent skewer & a wheel three times the weight, I battled on & completed the route. Needless to say the Hardnott was epic & it was the last time I rode tubs ;)

Hi Rich,
Yes, remember the conversation about the crash, but hadn't linked the two. BAD place to crash. Lots of paramedics there this year waiting to be called into action.

The Alps might just seem easy?

GF.

The Milk Race went that way over Honister in 1958. Lots of crashes on the bridge at Seatoller.....