The Suez Veterans Association

The main aim of the Association is to re-kindle and promote a spirit of comradeship amongst those who served in the

Suez Canal Zone, Egypt.     

Welcome to this Forum provided by the Association.

Open to non-members.

You are invited to post a reply to any message, or start a new topic.

'Keep the Flag Flying' 

Opinions expressed in letters on these forum pages are those of each correspondent and are not necessarily those of any serving representative of the

Suez Veterans Association.

To return to the SVA website, click here.

Suez Veterans Forum page
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A gut feeling

After a period of reflection Ive decided to do the one thing, which in the past I've urged others not to do, leave this Forum. In the previous thread I tried to express the disquiet I've felt over the continuous questioning of the posts submitted by Tony Tolan.
Let me be clear, I am not an apologist for Mr Tolan, I also have issues with many of the things he relates, but I have no interest at all in attempts to humiliate him on a Forum which he has supported for many years.

If you have issues with my views please feel free to contact me via Skype, Messenger, or e-mail.

Re: A gut feeling

Wholeheartedly agree!

Hallo Charles,

I retreated in weariness from both forums about four years ago – and for the third time - vowing to post only when I’d something worthwhile to say. I’ve tried since, and quickly re-learned old lessons – although my posts when sharing Old Comrades’ sites were kindly received.

I share some of Bill Badger’s and Bob Sharp’s views, and have been tempted to post in current discussions, but these days I need confrontation like I need a third eyelid.

Setting that aside, I take no pleasure in Tony’s current absence, and sincerely hope he is well.

See you on the Wirral.

John

Somehow the Titanic comes into mind for me, people kept telling the captain there was imminent risk of things coming to an end if he didn't change course, and I can't help but think we are going to sink the forum on the existence or not of a book or documents in a particular location.

Just like the Titanic blame, recriminations will be aimed at everyone else, but the catalyst of doom was the reluctance of the captain to change course just once.

Greetings to one and all!

Elsewhere, on another thread, I referred to your intention to withdraw from the Forum - That is sad.

However, if you are still here at present and reading this may I take the opportunity to state that if I am considered to be responsible in anyway for you reaching this decision, then I apologise to you unreservedly.

Bill (BB5)

Hi Charles-Lads.
thank goodness for that. I probably have been slow in answering the postings, but when they become a witch hunt it is time to carry on elsewhere. Some quote the catholic herald and Sunday mirrors reports, I am RC and take the herald but even their reporter on his statement re the Nuns in the convent cellars were flawed. I tend to keep away from newspaper accounts on Suez, as they sometimes add a little of their own imagination when reporting, I researched over a log period from Suez veterans who sent me so much information on their various experiences, and general Lord Guthrie also helped me a lot especially with the fight for the medal, and other officers who were there at the time. I mention no names in my book as to mention a few would not be right to the many, and of course the relatives who had no idea of some of the atrocities committed to their loved ones would be absolutely horrified to read the method of their deaths..

A lot of Suez vets sent me material without mentioning their names for some reason or other, but they will recognise the incidents right away. and nearly a year after I started it was completed. I did it for the only reason that veterans and the public would be learning the truth about Suez and the part they played in it. it was suppressed for many years but the truth will always out. I am going to try get it published and I have transferred the manuscript including the roll of Honour onto a disc, to make it easier and cheaper to post. Here's hoping I am successful with replies. Take care lads and keep posting and put some of your opinions for the vets to read

God Bless
Tony

Tony, again you refer to "my book", as you did on 31, January, based on that writing I posed a simple question as to where I could obtain the book, or what to give the IWM to get the manuscript you provided and was accepted, you advising that it was now in the archives and could be located there.

I read your original post again, you use terms of my book, edited, researched,printed. These terms raise in me the picture of a book, not a DVD, not a file of sheets of paper, but a book like one would find in a book shop or a library. I have to suspect now that there is not, never has been and probably never will be a book. So be it.

I guess I am open with these comments to accusations of a witch hunt, causing you to be humiliated, and whatever else, again so be it.

I can see no great loss in my life of Pete Bradley, who I am not sure exists in fact, writing very similar to another poster on here, Ray M and I are not what one would class as comrades, but I sincerely regret the loss of Charles Lewis, and probably the total demise of the forum, but what the hell, it was dying anyway.

Whoops!

My penultimate sentence was poorly worded, It should have read - “That said, I take no pleasure in Tony’s current absence if it is due to illness”.

I tried to edit the post soon after I’d placed it, but the forum program wouldn’t allow me. I believed Tony might really be ill, and despite the bile I have experienced from him and his cronies over the years, took no pleasure in the thought.

Had I known he'd merely gone to ground, I'd have kept my mouth shut, and my foot out of it.

John Grant

I am just reading over some of the posts again, I am having some difficulty because of my strange sense of humour, but reading one snippet, absolutely the irony of which completely feeds my humour is the statement, "the truth will always out".

But where?

As I read Charles Lewis, he was saying that Tony could put all this to bed with a straight answer, i.e. the IWM reference. Instead he chooses to tap-dance around, which merely adds to the suspicion.

John G.

Good Morning Bob and John!

I must have overlooked the 'snippet' you mentiond Bob. Can you point me to it please..?

BB

It is not anything momentous BB just my warped sense of humor, and belief in irony. It was five words out of a fairly lengthy post on 16 February . I don't weant to be charged with bear baiting, criminal offence here.