The Ex Suez Veterans Association

You are invited to post a reply to any message, or start a new topic.

'Keep the Flag Flying' 

Opinions expressed in letters on these forum pages are those of each correspondent and are not necessarily those of any serving representative of
what was the ex  
Suez Veterans Association.

Suez Veterans Forum page
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1950s NOSTALGIA

I’m interested Bill.

Me too Tom,in an earlier post I suggested that Richard Wooley deserved our thanks for providing a platform from which any ex Suez coffin dodgers would be able to make new contacts, or renew old one's. With that in mind, I was disappointed when first Bob Sharp and then Bill Badger virtually condemned it to an early death. Both of them were supporters of the previous Forum who's views on postings I looked forward to, Bob Sharp in particular always offered a cogent view of the article under discussion. Having said that, I take issue with their present stance, the only person with a remit to declare the Forum dead is surely Richard who provides and pays for it. I will continue to read whatever is posted, and comment upon anything which I find of interest.

Yes interested to know if anyone is still around. I was a boy of 7 when we (Mum, two sisters and myself) were suddenly woken up and driven to Port Said for evacuation leaving my father there.

Wonderful memories of Egypt

Charles Lewis
Me too Tom,in an earlier post I suggested that Richard Wooley deserved our thanks for providing a platform from which any ex Suez coffin dodgers would be able to make new contacts, or renew old one's. With that in mind, I was disappointed when first Bob Sharp and then Bill Badger virtually condemned it to an early death. Both of them were supporters of the previous Forum who's views on postings I looked forward to, Bob Sharp in particular always offered a cogent view of the article under discussion. Having said that, I take issue with their present stance, the only person with a remit to declare the Forum dead is surely Richard who provides and pays for it. I will continue to read whatever is posted, and comment upon anything which I find of interest.
Charles I am sorry if I caused you any distress that was not my purpose. I merely pointed out that I saw a similarity to many calls I received about a person in distress and the aid offered. Many unfortunately died in scene, others went to hospitals and surprising to all who had been involved survived, others in hospital less fortunate and even with professional help did not survive. I am not sure I did classify my comments in my post but would be very pleased if I did to be proven totally wrong.

Re: 1950s NOSTALGIA, etc.

I was astonished to read in another members post that "Bill Badger virtually condemned it (the Forum) to an early death..."

On the contrary, NOBODY has done more than I have in the last year or so to inject some life into a Forum clearly on its last legs. During this February alone I made SIX postings - only one positive comment was made, plus the unjustified criticism quoted above.

I give up....

BB

Bill Badger
I was astonished to read in another members post that "Bill Badger virtually condemned it (the Forum) to an early death..."

On the contrary, NOBODY has done more than I have in the last year or so to inject some life into a Forum clearly on its last legs. During this February alone I made SIX postings - only one positive comment was made, plus the unjustified criticism quoted above.

I give up....

BB
Don't give up Bill, you have to remember as I have had to do that we are not the only elderly in the group, everyone is adn sometimes we phrase things in a way that we don't really mean them to be as strong as they seem. It is relevant though that we were both mentioned in the post, but in my years of reading the threads that happens, and offense is in my case easy not to take. I can take it whatever way it goes I enjoy reading the articles, its nice to deal with people who were raised and served as you did, not young whippersnappers who know everything and done nothing. So don't go bud's keep me if no one else amused and interested Bob, firsta aid qualifed Sharp.:smiley:

Well I was evacuated in a hurry wrapped in my dads greatcoat in the back of a Bedford Truck aged 7 and shunted onto the Asturias awaiting us in Port Said to take usback to Blightly ASAP leaving Dad there. I am 72 now and was chuffed to find this site thinking it might be useful in providing nostalgia and maybe some albums from back then.

Turns out it is about a few old Codgers arguing the Toss about some totally insignificant drivel instead of using this valuable space for its intended purpose. Unless you haven't noticed the Suez war is long over...you should be ashamed of yourselves, the girls of WAAC have more decorum.

So nice of you to come on and increase the number of posts that have been entered to keep the thread going. I would say with the greatest of respect get your head out of your anus, you haven't earned the right to criticise or offer any other opinion on us old codgers, we have earned the right by service to join on matters of disagreement about time we all shared, you have not, so using the instruction my unit used to receive when stepping out of line was " turn to the right, fall out don't salute, just f... off. :joy:

Yep...old Codgers...I was trained as an Ammo tech in Beachley Barracks, Chepstow as an Army Apprentice at the age of fourteen and a half signed on for the statutory 12 years. Weren't allowed to carry on like you folks, they had names for soldiers of that ilk.

As you say, 'Remove head from anus.....Right turn' I'm out of here leaving you guys/ladies to annoy each other like the Fleas do in the average Egyptian brothel, nowt here for the likes of me . Take care you all, & please don't go wasting what times left bickering yourselves to death even though...copy/paste "we have earned the right by service" whinging isn't a right worth fighting for.........:sunglasses:

In reply to the posts of Bill Badger and Bob Sharp, my comment was intended to express my personal regret that both appeared to have already decided that the Forum was beyond all help. Bill actually posed the question enclosed in brackets, I'm aware of the efforts he has made to inject life into the debates which, if memory serves, I did acknowledge. Notwithstanding any of the foregoing, if Richard Wooley decides that it's not worth carrying on then that will be when this Forum is laid to rest.
Will I be happy? Definitely not, but as I said, His is the only decision which matters.

To Bill Badger, Bob Sharp, and all fellow Vets, best wishes and good health and long may our Lums Reek.

Finally, with reference to the offering of Mr Sapatsch the temptation is to ask if that is an Acronym for, A Sap At School, which I will resist, because following a time honoured tradition on these Forums, anything with a whiff of controversy, Immediately results in a raising of aged Hackles, followed by a flood of excoriating missives directed at anyone who has the temerity to cause it. On reflection,that may be no bad thing, just remember, I'm of a tender disposition and easily hurt.

PS
Edwin MacSap, See a Psychiatrist if you'r not sure of your own name.

Well it may not be pleasant but its the most posts on the thread since it opened. Very familiar to the old thread sometimes not so friendly but usually things worked out. I as I do sometimes look at things too closely but would a seventy two year old man today not have been born in 1948, and as such been seven in 1955, so why would his father be staying in Egypt whilst his family were being rushed home. I thought families were seperated in the early fifties actuall December 1954 was when I left Egypt on a boat from Port Said, a form of peace having been created. In 1955 I was doing guards in a totally different atmosphere and uniform. No KD. Funny enough I think if I got to know the young man I would quite like him, he does have a bit of jam in him you have to admire that. I apologise if my always poor math is wrong.

Re, one of the issues raised in a previous post

According to a Newspaper article published in January 1951 the War Office had ordered the evacuation of Families of servicemen and expected that this would be accomplished in four days, I can find no information on whether this happened or not. I do know that I arrived in December 1952 and the families of fellow unit members had already left. I think it's a gray area open to argument.

RE Evacuation of Families, etc.

In 1951, October I recall, Nahas Pasha, the Egyptian PM, Abrogated (cancelled) the 1936 Anglo-Egyptian Treaty and all hell broke loose in the Canal Zone beginning with a mass uprising in Ismailia and elsewhere.

Prior to that, it was all serene in Ish - bars, cinemas, bazaars all flourishing. In 1950, I bought a made-to-measure suit from a tailor in Avenue Sultan Hussain - On Tick!!!!!The 1951 uprising brought an end to that happy state of affairs and prompted an almost immediate mass evacuation of Families living in Married Quarters and private rented accommodation in Arashia, etc., as described in an earlier post. Wives and kids only - daddy stayed behind!

At all British bases - about 20 plus of 'em, arms and ammo were issued to all and sundry and carried at all times by all ranks, including 18/19 year-old lads who had not handled a weapon other than a few rounds in their basic training. Self-inflicted injuries, and similar were common and at one time it was stated that the number of such injuries was higher than those inflicted by 'the enemy'!

For the next couple of years or so anti-British terrorism was wide-spread and casualties were high. By '53 things had quietened down, but the writing was on the wall, Britain's unwelcome and hated 70 year occupation of much of Egypt, later confined to the the Zone, was ending....

I speak from my own experience from mid-1950, and due to unusual circumstances, to Spring 1953, longer I believe than most. My memories of Egypt are, like the proverbial Curate's Egg, "Good in Parts.."

BB

So on the last thread used two fatalists Badger and Sharp four posts each, Charles Lewis three, and Edwin Saspatch two,cantankerous as we are old Badger and I are still applying emergency aid, Charles is contributing, and so did Edwin Saspatch. He was a bit snarky about old codgers, but thats fine, he cannae even count, but thats fine it was nice to hear from him. Have to go now to apply emergency treatment to another thread on another forum that is suffering a diminishment of health. Like Batman my work is never done.:innocent:

Dr Badger I am just reexamining this patient and finding it difficult to find the necessary vital signs, I am not prepared on my own obsrvations to declare life extinct, but in absence of any future vitalsigns it must be considered.

I’m still here.
I’m not going anywhere yet.
Too young at 87.
I live in Chichester, West Sussex.
I was in 10 BOD, Geneifa in 1955.