Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum
Return to Website

Sailonline Forum

Welcome to Sailonline.com! Feel free to write on any boating topic you like. The more you post, the more feedback you will get! To return to Sailonline.com, simply click on the logo.

Sailonline Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
First time bareboat in the Grenadines?

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are planning our first bareboat and I would love to hear some people chime in regarding our trip...

Though I have been on sailboats on and off my whole life as well as some overnight sail trips as a child, I have no formal training. I’m a die hard windsurfer so have a good idea of basic sailing principals, yet have never skippered a boat. Our plan is to take a two week trip, the first being ASA instruction (101,103,104 & maybe 114), the second to bareboat.

Initially we were leaning towards Blue Water Sailing School out of Ft. Lauderdale that offers a 1 week intensive course to include all 4 of the above ASA certs on a cat (r/t trip to the keys). From there we would bareboat in the BVIs the following week. From my numerous emails and phone calls, it seems standard that the charter companies will require a captain on board for 2-3 days as a check-out (given our lack of experience)...no problem.

Then I learned all about the Grenadines...W-O-W. While I’m sure the BVIs will be terrific, the Grenadines seem to offer a much more off the beaten path experience with true Caribbean flavor. Not to mention the anchorages, cays and beaches look absolutely breathtaking.

So... Now that I have the blinders on for the Grenadines, I found out about Barefoot Charters (seem to have very reasonable rates) and the additional convenience that they offer ASA courses (cheaper than the Fl school).

MY QUESTION (thanks for staying with me): is this a good idea or not for newbies like ourselves? Ideally, I’d like to take the first ASA week with Barefoot in the Grenadines and then bareboat the second. Is this area too challenging for first timers? Would we be in over our heads? We’re looking at the end of April/early May, so I don’t think the winds will be anything crazy, though probably stronger than the BVIs this time of year...am I right in this assumption?

In taking the course with Barefoot’s instructor and then bareboating from them, I’m hoping it will be more practical to allow this for a first time cruise since their own instructor will know if we’re qualified, confident...and comfortable.

Thoughts?

If you think it’s doable (and enjoyable) for a newbie, how would you suggest the route? Rather than returning back to St Vincent after week 1 and loop back again, should we make a 2 week sail out of it? That way we could take our time and perhaps go down to Grenada... Then pay for a ferry/flight return for the instructor?

Sorry for the long winded email. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This is the first baby step to eventually sailing long term in the Grenadines.

Thanks in advance!
Evan

ps: I would love to do some windsurfing while down there, but there are no rentals. Do you think I can fly down my gear without too much difficulty? Also, from your experience would it be safe on deck if we were on land, out snorkeling etc. and away from the boat?

Re: First time bareboat in the Grenadines?

Evan

Have you been in contact with Seth at Barefoot, e-mail - barebum@caribsurf.com? I really think that he would be the one to answer your questions regarding learning to sail in the Grenadines. If you can learn to sail and feel comfortable in the Dines the BVI's will be a sail on a lake. Suggest that you request a mono to learn on as you will get a feeling for the action/re-action thing.

If Seth thinks that the way to go, it don't get much better. These people are great to deal with and you're right on as far as the area goes.

The solo trip back from Grenada might test your comfort level being that new to the whole thing as you would most likely be close on the wind in some mighty wild seas. Don't hurry out of the Grenadines as there is a whole lot to see. Heck, it took several days for me to leave just the Tobago Cay's last time there.

Have fun
Rick

Hey Rick,

Thanks so much for the input...

Actually I have been in touch with Seth and am leaning heavily towards taking their ASA instruction for the first week (monohull) and then bareboat a small cat the second week. He's been super helpful and I've read very positive things across the internet about Barefoot.

After additional reading from Doyle's book, I would take your advice and leave Grenada for another time....there's A LOT to see in the Grenadines!

I'd really like to fly down with my windsurfing gear (too bad you can't rent down there). Do you think I can pull this off with the smaller connecting airlines? If so, what about theft of the gear on deck?

How are the winds in late April/early May?

Thanks again!

Evan

I have been sailing since 1985. I'm a USCG Licensed Captain. My wife and I have sailed St. Vincent and the Grenadines four times. Three of our trips by ourselves.

My 1st question to you is when are you planning your trip? Wind conditions are a little lighter during the summer months.

You will want to spend several days in Tobago Cays - about a 1.5 hour sail from Canouan. This is one of the most beautiful places on earth. While I haven't seen wind surfing there it would be a great place to do so as long as it hasn't been banned.

You will need to may sure you know how to properly anchor a vessel. The anchorage at the Tobago Cays is tucked behind a huge barrier reef and you can anchor in anywhere from 15 to 35 ft of water with a white sand bottom. There's no land between the Cays and Africa so the wind is really good.

If I were you I would not venture too far from Canouan, Mayreau and the Tobago Cays as the sails to other Islands can get rough and the seas very large especially near the ends of the islands.

Make sure you get weather reports daily - use your own weather sense - watch the barometer and don't attempt to make any long crossings if tropical lows are moving in.

Salt Whistle Bay is another great anchorage 1 hr from Canouan - it's on the northwest side of Mayreau. From the anchorage you can cross the island on foot about a 2 minute walk and maybe windsurf on the windward side of the island. Be warned there is a reef on the south side of the anchorage and you will need to make sure your anchor is set well or you could end up on the reef in a blow. There is a great restaurant and bar tucked away in the palm trees there. Don’t miss them.
Make sure you know how to properly use a GPS and read charters. There are plenty of hazards near the Cays and Mayreau (reefs and rocks) so make sure you know where they are.
If you go you will have a great time I’m sure.

If you have any questions please email me.
Captain JP

I've bareboated in the Grenadines twice and in the BVI's seven times.

For your first time out, I'd stick with the BVI's.

You can probably do the Grenadines, but the navigation is going to be more challenging (Tobago Cays), and unless you stay in St. Vincent's jurisdiction. you'll have to go through customs. Also, St. Vincent's has a lot more crime and safety issues than the BVI"s (which have virtually none.)..

Welcome to bareboating. Have a great trip, no matter which area you choose.

Richard

Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum