Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum
Return to Website

Sailonline Forum

Welcome to Sailonline.com! Feel free to write on any boating topic you like. The more you post, the more feedback you will get! To return to Sailonline.com, simply click on the logo.

Sailonline Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
1st time bareboater

I'm looking to charter a bareboat with my fiance. I'm a young guy (22) who has a lot of boating experience, mostly power but have gotten into sailing the past couple years. I'm not concerned with my abilities (operation or navigation) in the least but I'm concerned that because of my age and my fiance's lack of experience that they would make me hire a skipper. I have extensively operated boats in the Chesapeake and Gulf Coast of FL. I've sailed in the BVI's before and have been approved through Moorings by filling out their resume...Should I be concerned given any of that information that they would for some reason deny me once I'm there?

Re: 1st time bareboater

Hey John
It will depend on what size of boat & they will have you show your sailing skills by taking you for a sail. They do like having someone that has some kind of sailing certification, at least basic keel boat, but more like bareboat certification. You have to remember, your taking a boat that is worth $150,000 and up. Moorings may require you to have a capt. aboard for a day or two. Good luck & have a great time!

From some of the stuff I have seen there they will rent a boat to anyone with a checkbook. At the very worst they might make you go out with a captain on a check out sail. The waters around the BVI are some of the most forgiving anywhere, just use common sense.

The charter companies may tighten up a little. There have been 2 accidents in the past month where both vessels were lost.One was a boat pulling off a mooring ball, and the other a boat was swamped and sank in a squall. I'm not saying either was due to inexperienced crew, but they happened.

Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum