Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum
Return to Website

Sailonline Forum

Welcome to Sailonline.com! Feel free to write on any boating topic you like. The more you post, the more feedback you will get! To return to Sailonline.com, simply click on the logo.

Sailonline Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
athens sailing conditions

we are considering a bareboat trip from moorings in athens during the last week of august. if you have sailed there around that time of year, could you please give me some idea what the winds are like.
we are also considering split croatia or the amalfi coast, italy. any info on any of these areas at that time of year would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Re: athens sailing conditions

Hi Jack,

I just returned from sailing in Greece, This has been my 5th sumer over there. August is a great time to sail. You can still get the Meltimi winds in Aug. that can blow at 25 to 45 knots, so make sure you get a good forecast and choose your island groups based on that. There is also a chance you will have light winds. I have found that in Greece it is typically all or nothing when sailing in the Aegean. Make sure you are familiar with the Med mooring style of anchoring and you let out enough chain, especially with the meltimi blowing. Have fun!

Valerie
customsailing.net

Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum