Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum
Return to Website

Sailonline Forum

Welcome to Sailonline.com! Feel free to write on any boating topic you like. The more you post, the more feedback you will get! To return to Sailonline.com, simply click on the logo.

Sailonline Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Canadian issues in regards to charter ownership

Hello, would like to hear from Canadian Charter boat owners. I am thinking of purchasing a Charter boat in the near future and would like to know of any pit falls expierenced by Canadians Charter boat owners.
Thanks
Doug

Re: Canadian issues in regards to charter ownership

I am also looking at buying a boat and live in Ottawa. Are you interested in joint ownership? I have chartered with almost all the companies and like Horizon Yacht Charters. I am considering the Jenneau 54DS, a very nice boat.

Let me know if you are interested.

Hi Doug,

The only real issue I have found is the exchange rate fluctuations. All the majors deal in US$ only. Now that the C$ is at par, its ok, but I pity the Canadians that bought in 5 years ago. You also get cheques in US$, so you may want to put them in a US$ account or other investment until the rates are better to convert back. Converting larger amounts also gets you a better exchange.

Tim

Hello Doug,

I currently live in Atlantic Canada and thought about doing something similar. Just wondering if you thought about what to do with your boat in the winter time? I think the season for Canada is way too short to make serious money and to be able to sustain a charter business. I am currently trying to find out if I can buy a boat in the US, have her in Canada for the summer and then sail her back to Florida for the winter and put her into a charter program down there until early spring, when I would sail her back to Canada. Please let me know if you considered any of the above.

cheers,

perigee

"make serious money" Never going to happen. Realistic expectations are:

1. maybe a flight a year to/from the boat
2. maybe a bit of beer money
3. break even.

sorry - but that's the way it is. Tony

Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum