Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum
Return to Website

Sailonline Forum

Welcome to Sailonline.com! Feel free to write on any boating topic you like. The more you post, the more feedback you will get! To return to Sailonline.com, simply click on the logo.

Sailonline Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Cost of water & fuel, BVI

My wife & I have sailed the BVI on her fathers boat multiple times. We talk about it so much that we now have friends that would like to go. I have been surfing yacht charter sights & the one thing I never see mentioned is the cost of water & fuel. If we charter a cat for a week with 8 people, how much should we budget for water & fuel? I assume it is not included.

Re: Cost of water & fuel, BVI

Hello,

Most of the charter companies are now charging for fuel, budget yourself about $200.00 on the high for both water and fuel. Depending how much you like to motor and use the generator. You should be OK on the water just make sure that you fill it up right before you leave the dock. Also call the company and ask them.

I know that at Leverick Bay and Saba they will give you a free fill up of water, if you take up a mooring overnight. Fuel is another question.
art

This might be a bit late but we recently had our boat (Moorings 4700) in the BVI for 9 days, running the generator for a/c every night. The fuel tank connected to the gen, was between empty - 1/4. The other tank was 3/4 full ! Water was not an issue for us as we only had 2 of us on board for 6 days - so we managed. Moorings will allow you to return and refill though if needed. As the BVI is quite a small crusing ground this is not as impractical as it sounds.

Doug

I can't give you information on fuel, as we didn't have to refuel during our two week vacation, but if you take a mooring ball in Leverick bay your water is free.
Doug

Diesel is $6.50 a gallon as of the first week of june at the marina's so think twice about running the generator. Water like people said is free is you get a mooring at several places.

The new fuel dock at Cane Garden Bay charge $4.75 (June 15th)per gallon and the water was $ 0.15/gallon.
These prices were the same in Roadtown.

Spanish town was $6.75/gallon for fuel and $ 0.25/gallon for water.

Also keep in mind, that the Bobbys Marketplace store in Cane garden Bay is super. Their was a great selection of fresh produce and a Deli and small Bakery section.

Since most of the time people on cats motor sail I would plan on 1 gallon an hour for both engines( 1/2 gallon each) the generator probably burns 1 quart an hour. You should not have to motor more than 25 to 30 hours to go from e end of the BVI's to the other. If you sail when able or at least motor sail at a lower RPM you could cut the consumption dramatically. What ever it cost the vacation is worth it. You can more than make up for the high cost of fuel with the cheap cost of rum. If you use water wisely it should not be a problem, plus top off at Saba Rock or Leverick bay for free. The moorings at Saba are right in front and they are labeled.
Fair Winds

Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum