Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum
Return to Website

Sailonline Forum

Welcome to Sailonline.com! Feel free to write on any boating topic you like. The more you post, the more feedback you will get! To return to Sailonline.com, simply click on the logo.

Sailonline Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Abaco Bahamas Charters

My three children and I contracted to charter a 36' PDQ catamaran from Abaco Bahamas Charters out of Hopetown, Elbow Key, Abacos. We were to pick up the boat on Sat. 11/17/2007 and return it a week later. On Thursday 11/15/07 I e-mailed them with some questions about the boat. They replied with answers, nothing seemed amiss. After driving all night from NC to Ft. Lauderdale and catching a 7:50 AM flight to Marsh Harbour we took the ferry from Marsh Harbour to Hopetown.
We were met at the dock by a representative of Abaco Bahamas Charter. He said there was a "small problem" but not to get excited. I didn't get excited, I asked what the problem was. He said that the boat we were to charter was damaged two weeks previously by Hurricane Noel and was in drydock at Man of War Cay. I asked if there was another boat available and they showed me a Beneteau 31 that was much too small. I asked to speak to the owner and was informed that he was in the states. I asked for my deposit and was told it was not available. Indeed, this representative of Abaco Bahamas Charters had no resources to do anything to help us. We could not change our plane tickets, we could not find another boat.
We have been home over a week and have yet to receive our $1,750 deposit back or even so much as an aplogy. Abaco Bahamas Charters does not respond to e-mail or phone calls.

Re: Abaco Bahamas Charters

I am suprised at their behavior, I am also suprised because little was damaged in Noel. I also did not see their boat in the yard,it could have been there but I don't remember it. I have not heard anything bad about that company and they have been around for some time. The worst thing you can do a guest is not have the boat, they should have tried switching you to another company, we and 2 other charter cats were sitting empty in Marsh that week. Please don't hold their behavior as typical of charter boats or the Abaco's. If you have not received your deposit back, and want a little free help email us, we know how to chat with them. Again sorry you had bad trip, that is not how to spend a vacation.
Rich
S/V Sea Devil

Re: Re: Abaco Bahamas Charters

Rich, are you a charter company? We are interested in chartering in March 2008 and would appreciate recommendations or leads.

Re: Abaco Bahamas Charters

sorry just saw post today, but can give you good suggestions for abacos anytime, we love it here...

Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum