Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum
Return to Website

Sailonline Forum

Welcome to Sailonline.com! Feel free to write on any boating topic you like. The more you post, the more feedback you will get! To return to Sailonline.com, simply click on the logo.

Sailonline Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Cruising in Baja Mexico compared to BVI

Anyone bareboated in the Baja area? We have chartered in the BVIs for over ten years and are thinking of trying Mexico. I am looking for experiences and comments on the following as compare to your typical early Spring cruising in the BVI:

1) Weather (temp, seas & wind)
2) Sailing base (services, staff)
3) Mooring/Anchoring locations
4) Places to provision
5) Cost
6) Off-boat activities, food, entertainment (at recommended anchoring spots)

Thanks in advance,

Lorin

Re: Cruising in Baja Mexico compared to BVI

While both areas are fantastic in their own ways, they couldn't be more different, while still being in a boat on water.

Big differences you need to plan around..

I charted with Moorings out of La Paz. You'll find rates somewhat higher, just not as much competition or traffic as BVI.

When you leave La Paz, your own your own. There are NO bars or restaurants to enjoy each evening, there is no place to refil water tanks, or buy more provisions within 7 days sailing.

You'll probably be able to count the number of other boats you see each day on one hand. You'll be on the hook each night, so you'll need to brush up and setting your hook, there are no balls yet.

What is so magical about sailing in Baja, is the amzing beauty and life in the sea, juxstaposed against the barren but beautiful desert cliffs that surround you. It is literally as if you are sailing in the Grand Canyon.

The sea life in Cortez is very different than BVI. You will see whales, dolphins, seals, sharks, and many other large fish every day. North of La paz is a seal sancutuary that you must stop at and snorkel with the seals. Each morning and each evening at your anchorage, you be entertained by Peleicans crash diving as they catch dinner.

Sailing during the day is easy, but during the evening, near La Paz you'll likly experince a unqiue wind experince, they are called coramuels. You'll have a great day, nice dinner, but sometime around midnight the winds will kick up out of the north,and howl for a couple of hours 40+ miles an hours. A lot of the prime anchorages will allow you to tuck in behind some land to blunt this somewhat. Just make sure you set your hook.

Please, get a copy of Sea of Cortez: A Cruiser's Guidebook . Its a great read before you go, with great descriptions of anchorages, and La Paz.

I agree with most of what John said. The area is completely different than the BVI. But it is awesome in its' stark beauty

I believe those strong night winds he made reference to depend on when you are sailing. We were there the first week in May and did not experience anything that extreme at night.

If I can find my posts on TripAdvisor, (trip report and pictures) I'll post the link for you. Our trip was a couple years ago.

If you aren't ready for the totally self-reliant trip, as far as provisioning goes, there are plenty of other adventures to be had. We just sailed in the Abacos in May.....not the same as the BVI but there is night life, restaurants, if you so desire.

Belize is another good option. Sort of a cross between the social aspect of the Bvi and the aloneness of Baha.

Found my report on Tripadvisor.com

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g152515-i84-k629442-Back_from_Cabo_by_Land_and_by_Sea_part_1-Cabo_San_Lucas_Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g152515-i84-k632717-Back_from_Cabo_by_Land_and_by_Sea_part_2-Cabo_San_Lucas_Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g152515-i84-k632733-Back_from_Cabo_by_Land_and_by_Sea_photos-Cabo_San_Lucas_Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html

Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum