Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum
Return to Website

Sailonline Forum

Welcome to Sailonline.com! Feel free to write on any boating topic you like. The more you post, the more feedback you will get! To return to Sailonline.com, simply click on the logo.

Sailonline Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Belize

We are considering chartering in Belize; have sailed numerous times at other bases and want to try something new. I would appreciate any advice or information from anyone who has been there. We are thinking of going in May

Re: Belize

May is a good time to go in that the wind is not just out of the North. TMM or Moorings will not let you go outside the reef without a captain. It is much more secluded than BVI. Be prepared for shallow water. Markings of dangerous or shallow areas are with sticks. You will see many fisherman you can buy or trade for fish and lobster. Make sure you eat at Rastapasta in Cay caulker if you go out of san pedro. I had a boat there for a period of time. Make sure you keep an eye on your water food and alcohol in that there is not places on every cay to replenish.

Bob covered it most.
My favorite stop (southern loop out of Placencia) was Ranguana - caretaker's wife cooked a great dinner = coconut shrimp. But the Cay itself is a place you can spend at least a couple of days & do everything.....and they have a couple of moorings for rent if you feel like keeping it simple.

Shallow Water - sticks if you are lucky.........Clorox bottle for a channel market too

Placencia is a unique place - kinda kool "main street"off the beach & some real laid back hang out places

Belize is completely unique - You have to be prepared to be SELF contained because once you leave the base that's it..........180 degrees from BVI

Fair Winds

Can anyone comment on the risc of the feared fish poisoning Ciguatera, which is predominantly found around reefs, and the fish up the food chain feeding from it.

Rudi

Sailed Belize once within Moorings flotilla
not impressed at all. After sailing in the BVI for 10 years plus and also Florida Keys. Belize was a letdown shallow water, not very clear, lots of Mangrove islands. Few sand beaches the best one private. If you want to snorkel or scuba dive you have to go out to the reef, which Moorings will not allow without a captain on board
sailing catamaran in St. Maarten this year, and then over to Tortola for another week, I don't think you can beat the BVI
Rich

Don't do it, it's not worth the risk
you have to know how to prepare these fish
. I've had no problem over the years eating the fish in any restaurant
Rich

Sailonline will accept no liability or responsibility whatsoever for the opinions expressed in this forum