Return to Website

Heavenly Heart Gerbilry Forum

Welcome to Heavenly Heart Gerbilry forum. Feel free to post a message.

This is the place to talk about your pocket pets like gerbils and mice. Keep the posts clean. Non-related pet stuff will be deleted. To return back to the Homepage, click on the HHG banner.

Heavenly Heart Gerbilry Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
gerbil homes

My daughter and I recently got 2 gerbils. I never had them before so I have been reading everything I can get my hands on.

I am curious to know about thier cages. I know the suitable types and good and bad of them. My question is when you do your cleaning is it stressfull or enjoyable for them if you rearrange alot. We have an aquarium and two crittertrail cages all hooked up by the tubes. Got the cages before we found out an aquarium is better. The aquarium isn't big enough to give up the other cages. But I love to rearange the tubes and tunnels. As well as build things with cardboard for the inside of the aquarium. But when those get chewed I won't be able to duplicate it and will have to build something entirely new. When we put them back in it they scamper here and there for quite a while. But I really can't tell if it is fun for them or stressing them out. And I don't want to stress them out.

We don't tear up thier nest, just remove it and put it back in the same spot.

Any helpful input would be greatly appreciated by us and our gerbils.

Tra and Ali
(Freddie and Georgie too!!)

Where From: ohio

Re: gerbil homes

As gerbils if you found out don't stink like other critters. I can go almost 3 weeks without cleaning their cages. They don't the rearranging of the tubes or the stuff in the cages after cleaning. They see it as an adventure and keeps them stimulated.

They love it when you make stuff for them out of cardboard. They love it when something new is placed in the tank. Have tried putting in a glass or a jelly jar? Mine go nuts in it. I got this new Crittertrail Z with the wheel on top. Not the one with the ball but a regular looking wheel. My 2 senior gerbils love it. I don't mind cleaning the cages. I have to replace the ledges once in awhile since they do get chewed once in awhile. Ordering Crittertrail parts is so easy online. If have anymore questions, ask away. I am also a member of the AGS - American Gerbil Society.

-Diane

Where From: Ohio

That is good. It makes me happy to know I can make new paths with the tubes. I just love to do that! I also do build stuff for them in the aquarium out of cardbord boxes and cardboard sheets.

I haven't tried just leaving a jar in the cage yet. But we do use a jar to get them in and out for play time or cage cleaning.

I think I will wait a little longer between cleanings. I had read somewhere to clean the cage every week with a thourough cleaning, washing the tubes and all once a month. But nothing seemed very dirty other than the spot they usually go to the bathroom in.

Thanks so much for your help!
Tra and Ali
(Freddie and Georgie too!!)

Where From: ohio

Just follow your nose. If it is stinky, then it is time to clean. That's how I do it and the "Kids" seem happier for it. Or just do spot cleaning. I had a co-worker come over and she said she didn't smell anything. It has been about 2 weeks since I did a cleaning.

Where From: Ohio

I think they wouldn't mind the rearranging.
We've read that your supposed to clean
the cage once a week! And change the water in the bottle
(if you have one!) once a day! My Hatty hasn't figured out the water
bottle yet. Hope your little guys/girls are doing well!

Hatty's Mom

Where From: Illinois

It's been awhile since that post. All my gerbies are doing fine and now on a regular weekly cleaning schedule.

Hi!
I wouldn't worry about moving their stuff around. I do it all the time and they
don't seem to mind. I've never seen them look stressed after changing the tunnels
in the cage. I think they like it because it's something new to explore. If you move
the tubes around it gives them something to do! So I wouldn't worry about it!

Hatty and Nutmeg's Mom