Welcome to the Caddo Connection

This forum was created to allow Caddo members to ask questions, network, and engage in general discussion regarding the Caddo Nation.

The forum administrator reserves the right to delete inappropriate posts and to ban abusers from this site.

Welcome to the Caddo Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
confused!

Where would I find the names of the folks who are running for elected seats this year?

Has the deadline to put your name in the hat passed yet?

Do we have an election board that's legal to run an election according to the election ordinance?

Does anyone on here know answers to any of these questions?

Re: confused!

The names should be published in the paper and probably on the website after the protest period, (aka, give the chairman time to weed out the competition), next week. My bet is that she will have the finance office say that any of the legal council that runs for office owes money. This is even after the majority of seated council said they don't owe a dime for the attorney (Oliver) that Brenda hired. I'm sure she will make them owe somehow so she doesn't have to run against them and lose. By the way, her council voted to give Gina Sage (her secretary) a list of members 18 years and older so now the chairman has an advantage over other candidates. Her secretary has contact info for voters and they can send out flyers to the absentee voters telling of how great Brenda is and encourage people to vote for her. That is another one of her strategies to win chairman. Be looking for letters to come in support of Brenda and for her to direct the business manager, finance person or another employee to challenge the validity of her opponents to get them removed from the ballot. This is how they operate, and when you see this, don't vote for Brenda! She has wasted enough of the tribe's time and resources.

But what about our election board? After talking with some Kiowa friends, their election last year wasn't "recognized" by the Anadarko Agency, so will they recognize ours? Does the election board have everything it needs to run an election the Agency will support and uphold? What does the election ordinance say? I've never read it...

The only legally appointed members of the EB are Wilson and Moffer. I heard that Moffer has resigned and Swindell was appointed. The appointments of Nestell, Bentley and Swindell would be considered invalid due to being appointed by an illegal council so if challenged in CFR court, everything would be invalid going back to when the council lost quorum in July 2012.

Here's a link to the Election Board ordinance: http://www.caddoconnection.com/uploads/Caddo_Election_Ordinance.pdf
and I just want to add one thing. You have to be indebted delinquently to the Caddo Tribe in EXCESS of two years in order to be an invalid candidate. See page 17 of the Election Ordinance under (3) Qualification of Candidates and Officers. I'm not saying that they won't try to pull this but it would not be legal according to our governing documents, if that means anything these days.

After reading the Election Ordinance, I'm still confused. That is one complicated governing document. Maybe if I was more familiar with the constitution it would be easier to understand. Thank you for the link. I'll reread it again and see if it becomes clearer.