Welcome to the Caddo Connection

This forum was created to allow Caddo members to ask questions, network, and engage in general discussion regarding the Caddo Nation.

The forum administrator reserves the right to delete inappropriate posts and to ban abusers from this site.

Welcome to the Caddo Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Election Debates

I would like to see a debate between the individuals running for Caddo Chairperson. It would be beneficial for us to hear from each candidate and it would give the candidates a chance to talk. The questions would come from the membership. Of course, rules would have to be set and followed so it wouldn't be a free for all.

Re: Election Debates

I love that idea!!! It would help people make an informed decision instead of voting for someone just because Aunt Susie said so.

Exactly! So what's the next step?

I would think the election board would have to set up a debate because they would have to notify all of the candidates to give them a fair shot at representing themselves. I say election board because I don't think the council can (or shouldn't) involve themselves with things concerning the election and/or candidates.

That would be great, and it would also give us an opportunity to ask the current sitting council who are running for Chairman, exactly what they have done regarding the current election board chairman or if they have each just squabbled and did nothing. I don;t know the others running for chairman so it would give us an opportunity to meet them But as stated, with what the EB chair did, if the current three did nothing about it, then none of them have my vote and or my families. We have talked about this incident, and it would show if they are cowards, leaders or followers

as an older Caddo menmber I can tell you that there's nothing the Council members running for office can do by theirselves. Things have come out regarding the others running for Chairman too. I understand that Dwight Pickering has promised "help" because he has the money - he was overspent with Education money as it is. Wyere is he going to get the help? I understand when Steven and his brother got to the Membership nmeeting there was a very strong order of booze comeing from both. As for Bobby I've been told that he leaves his children and wife at home to go to the bar in the country owned by a Caddo woman and her husband.

I would like to see an Election Debate right here, on line.

That way the Caddo members who live out of state and the ones who cannot attend meetings (like me) would be able to get to know the candidates by seeing their experience and observing their skill in answering questions - because all Tribal Chairmen, or now known as Tribal Chairpersons, have been required to "represent us in the eyes of the world" and putting things on the net is certainly putting things in the "eyes of the world"!!

So, I will start a new message and begin with questions of my own (that I have asked some of the candidates that I do not know well - and that they have not yet answered). Also I will give my opinion of each candidate and my opinion of what I deem necessary skills and knowledge for our Chair.

--- Mary Pat

Let's all stay constructive, focused and realistic in this process. Mary Pat - do you know what to do to make this debate happen on-line? If so, that's great and let's do it. I think it's constructive for Mary Pat to share her thoughts about what makes a good Chairperson, but her personal opinions on the candidates are not what this is about. The point is for us to make up our own minds.

What is important, qualifications and each candidate's stand on the issues, how they voted, etc. Also "experience": knowledge of Tribal issues, budget, etc.

Personal integrity is also important. If mistakes were made, what were those mistakes. Candidates will be judged by their character, like it or not.

Unfortunately gossip is a strong medicine. But we all hear things all the time.

A list of candidates should be on the official Caddo Nation website. And their credentials, degrees, experience. And shouldn't the Caddo Newspaper put out a list of candidates with all the above? Also, the candidates written statement or interviews by the editor. Then voters can have some way to see differences.

Right now many people are leaning toward a Chairman with a degree.