Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Spanish Articles, Pages 11-12

You're amazing Peachtreegal! MORE insightful info.!

Have to (sadlly) agree with the "there remain few traces of the youth of Marie Antoinette, Lloyds of London and other films from his early period." No doubt the smoking and heart condition played a part.

As for the "Witness.." part being insignificant and secondary I doubt Power felt that way as this was one of the juciest roles he ever had. Still, the statement that such an unsympathetic role was not one normally given to leading men of the day is largely true but again one would think that's the Hollywood grist mill talking and not TP.

Re: Re: Spanish Articles, Pages 11-12

The Witness role is a supporting role but that said, it is absolutely essential to get the right actor into that role -- someone who can be slick and (seemingly) authentic at the same time. The movie would come crashing down without a totally solid performance. Tyrone juggled Leonard perfectly and he stood shoulder to shoulder with a cast of acting powerhouses, starting with the magnificent Charles Laughton. :) I have a feeling he must have known as supporting roles go, it was a substantial, juicy one. :)

As for The Face... yes to all the chain-smoking and undiagnosed heart disease, but I figure also the stress of World War II, failed marriages, ex-wives, alimony payments, and career frustration altered it. And yet it is a beautiful face at any age, not just because the features are nicely arranged ;) but because of Ty's intelligence and spirit. I enjoy him just as much in the later pictures as the early ones. :)

Re: Re: Re: Spanish Articles, Pages 11-12

Joanne/Peachtree--

Can't add more to this--both of you made/said your points well.