Return to Website

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board

The Tyrone Power Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ty's Postage Stamp - need help

Joanne: If you look at the list of people who have received stamps, you'll not have heard of many of them. Tyrone belongs in the Legends of Hollywood series just as much as anyone else, and he fits all the criteria. Also, all of the committee are of a certain age, and there are quite a few Latinos on the board.

If anyone can, please drop a letter or postcard to:

Citizens' Stamp Advisory
c/o Stamp Development
U.S. Postal Service
1735 North Lynn St., Suite 5013
Arlington VA 22209-6432

All you have to write is that you are in support of a stamp for Tyrone Power for his centenary, 2014, and add anything else you want - served his country, great actor, anything.

Thanks so much.

Hi Maria, yes will certainly do. Let's face it, it doesn't get any easier than that (just sending a post card to that effect, so I'll certainly do that yes :-).

It's great what you're doing (we might not have all those great TP boxes sets were it not for you!!!!!)

Thanks, Joanne, very much. I was looking at some of the new items you have up and they are really wonderful. You certainly do keep your site up very well.

I realize that this postage stamp thing is a long shot, but I figure if there's enough of a response, even if they turn him down for 2014, they might consider him for a following year, or as you say, for another kind of series of stamps.

I don't know a lot about it, I only know that the Al Jolson people wanted one and because of the blackface issue, they nearly didn't get it. But that was resolved. I'm sure the committee picks people without suggestions, but they invite suggestions, so I have to believe that if there's an overwhelming request, they will at least consider the person. That's why I want to push hard.

Definitely worth doing! Will get a note out this week.

I'm thinking of suggesting him alone and/or part of a swashbuckler series; that might open the door a bit more, perhaps (?)

You're his biggest advocate Maria--working tirelessly, really!

My advice is to go on thetas premise that he is a legend of hollywood, which he is, and deserving of his own stamp. After we see what they have to say, maybe they will plan a series other than the Legends one that would include several people.