Welcome to the Caddo Connection

This forum was created to allow Caddo members to ask questions, network, and engage in general discussion regarding the Caddo Nation.

The forum administrator reserves the right to delete inappropriate posts and to ban abusers from this site.

Welcome to the Caddo Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
election

So who is going to file for office tomorrow? I have heard several people's names mentioned.
Don Keating, Bobby Joe Gonzales,LaVonna Weller, Jimmy Cousin, Christine Noah, Doyle Edge, Joe Weller, Carol Hampton,the present OKC Rep, Maxine's Son (the Education Director), Carol Swindell, Buddy Bedoka, George (the attorney),Gary Rogers---and even me!!

All these folks are good people and would (in my opinion) be great leaders and take our tribe forward where we belong.

I think that we need leadership that has experience because being chair is sure not a learning position. The person we elect should have knowledge of grants and contracts and methods used to negotiate the best terms. Our chair should have experience in people management and certainly needs a tough skin. [I say that from experience!] Our person should also be knowledgable about how state and federal governments are run because they will need to work with those other powers - we do not work in isolation and we must get along with all the other governments out there - tribal, states, and all the many US government departments that determine good or bad for tribes. We have more than the BIA to contend with.

It goes without saying, but I will say it anyway, that our Chair must be familiar with Caddo families and our ways of doing things. That means our Chair must understand both our urban families and our people living in the area around Binger. We are all Caddo and even though we may live thousands of miles away, we still need the support of the tribe and we still need to keep our culture alive. Those things are important to us - no matter where we live.

Of course, it would be great if our leader could understand the many ways of communicating in today's world - but if they are not an expert, they need to be good at choosing excellent staff to keep our tribal programs running and to keep happenings clearly open for everyone to understand - no more secrets - let us all know how things really are - good or bad. We have a lot of resources and we (the people) can help --- if we know what is needed.

Well that is my soap box for this evening. My great-grandson is here - so I need to go play!!

Love, Mary Pat

Re: election

Wow! That's a lot of people. I'm glad so many Caddo people are interested in moving things along.