The Suez Veterans Association

The main aim of the Association is to re-kindle and promote a spirit of comradeship amongst those who served in the

Suez Canal Zone, Egypt.     

Welcome to this Forum provided by the Association.

Open to non-members.

You are invited to post a reply to any message, or start a new topic.

'Keep the Flag Flying' 

Opinions expressed in letters on these forum pages are those of each correspondent and are not necessarily those of any serving representative of the

Suez Veterans Association.

To return to the SVA website, click here.

Forum: Suez Veterans Forum page
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My suez experience again.

Rod, I agree totally with your points, there is no doubt location and function were factors in our experience. As usual I have to prattle on about the Guards, but they were a wee bit different. In the days we are discussing all our officers were from the aristocracy or ultra wealthty. Titles such as Earl, Duke etc. were not unusual. Officers batmen were known as officers servants, the gulf between the men and the officers was wide. Because of the background though the officers used to having "servants" also realised the value of maintaining a feeling of contentment in the men, food, conditions, recreation were all kept at a good standard for the sake of morale. They also respected the training and loyalty of the men who they knew would give everything including their lives if the need arose.

On one occasion we arrived at TEK to take over guard duties there, we were relieving an English County Regiment detachment, our officer as was protocol checked the inventory, ammunition etc. and the tents we would occupy when taking over. There were deficiencies in the inventory, and the tents were deemed in bad order, he refused to take over until these things were corrected. We actually felt bad for the other soldiers as the swept out tents and washed some items, but that is just how it was.

Like everything in life there are some who suffered more than others, that was not the case for me.

Re: My suez experience again. - by Rod Amey - Feb 18, 2017 8:38am
Re: My suez experience again. - by John Grant - Feb 18, 2017 5:18pm
Re: My suez experience again. - by John Grant - Feb 20, 2017 8:37pm
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Free Blogs   Email Forms   Free Web Tools 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com