The Suez Veterans Association

The main aim of the Association is to re-kindle and promote a spirit of comradeship amongst those who served in the

Suez Canal Zone, Egypt.     

Welcome to this Forum provided by the Association.

Open to non-members.

You are invited to post a reply to any message, or start a new topic.

'Keep the Flag Flying' 

Opinions expressed in letters on these forum pages are those of each correspondent and are not necessarily those of any serving representative of the

Suez Veterans Association.

To return to the SVA website, click here.

Suez Veterans Forum page
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Have I found a Suez Vet?

Hi Lads, On the news the other night there was a piece about a big fire at Chullora in Sydney. As I wasn't paying much attention I thought they said Suez Waste Disposal plant. I immediatly thought ,"How does a thing like the Sweetwater Canal go on fire?" Then paying attention to what was being said it turns out the proper name is, "Suez Waste Recycling and Recovery plant".

Still it could be owned by a Suez Vet or an Egyptian Immigrant. Just a passing thought. Cheers, Taffy.

Re: Have I found a Suez Vet?

Hallo Taffy - "how does a thing like the Sweet Water Canal go on fire?" In our day, probably because it was full of gas-producing gunk; faeces, dogs, the odd camel... all despite Ferdie de L having built it as a source of pure water for the canal workings.

Totally off topic (following a Suez-forums tradition) it reminded me of the first Suez vets' presence at a Cenotaph march.

Watching it on't telly, I'd left the "text to speech" doohickey on, and it seemed that each time David Bumblebee said "Suez", it was rendered in text as "sewers". It didn't amuse me, given the importance of the occasion, but the memory sticks...

John

Hi Gwynn, Lads
That was a funny one Gwynn'
Gwynn did you know that Brian Paradice, I only found Out a couple of weeks ago.
I met big Joe Kane in the supper market I asked him had he Brian as I had been phoning him for months. but no responce Joe said he only found out the day before he was burried he did go to the funeral.
I dont know now who is running the Canal Zoners .
John Adelaide

Hallo John,

So far as I know Patricia Jezzard (daughter of the founder) is still running the 'Zoners'.

http://canalzoners.co.uk/ might be of help - lots to wade through though.

Regards,

John

John G, I think John D is referring to the fact that Brian Paradise was the Representative for Australia for Canalzoners.
I don't know what's happening now as I have had no contact with any of them for a very long time now. Cheers, Taffy.

Hi Taffy,

- oops! Clumsy of me - brain not in gear.

John G.