The Suez Veterans Association

The main aim of the Association is to re-kindle and promote a spirit of comradeship amongst those who served in the

Suez Canal Zone, Egypt.     

Welcome to this Forum provided by the Association.

Open to non-members.

You are invited to post a reply to any message, or start a new topic.

'Keep the Flag Flying' 

Opinions expressed in letters on these forum pages are those of each correspondent and are not necessarily those of any serving representative of the

Suez Veterans Association.

To return to the SVA website, click here.

Forum: Suez Veterans Forum page
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Memories

Rod, the ladies in the MMG missions were all volunteers. Just think -- they actually volunteered to spend years in the Suez Canal Zone looking after us, instead of spending their lives with their families.
There were other people who volunteered - there was the entertainers who turned up and put on shows - up and down The Zone. I was lucky enough to see Ivy Benson and her band, Ronnie Ronalde, Joyce Grenfell and I think Les Dawson.

You mentioned another, the Church of Scotland -- they were called "The Jocks" in the Suez Garrison. The Salvation Army was everywhere and I think we just assumed they should have been there.
How many of us would have volunteered to spend a couple of years in The Zone? Not me - I had a calendar hanging on one of the posts in our tent and everybody circled their Demob Day.
I can still remember the gate being raised for that last time to let the 3 tonner leave for the airport, with its cargo of six happy bods sitting on their kit bags. I can still see the Hermes on the Tarmac waiting to fly us into London (I can even remember the name of the airline -- Airworks).
Miss Smith and Miss Farrell were still back in the Suez Garrison serving tea and sandwiches to our replacements.

Not the best years of my life, but they will always be with me . . . never to be forgotten.

Email  
Re: Memories - by Rod Amey - May 11, 2017 7:06am
Re: Memories - by Jim Watson - May 11, 2017 6:16pm
Re: Memories - by Rod Amey - May 12, 2017 8:06am
Re: Memories - by Jim Watson - May 12, 2017 10:42pm
Re: Memories - by Rod Amey - May 13, 2017 7:34am
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Online Photo Albums   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Tools 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com