The Suez Veterans Association

The main aim of the Association is to re-kindle and promote a spirit of comradeship amongst those who served in the

Suez Canal Zone, Egypt.     

Welcome to this Forum provided by the Association.

Open to non-members.

You are invited to post a reply to any message, or start a new topic.

'Keep the Flag Flying' 

Opinions expressed in letters on these forum pages are those of each correspondent and are not necessarily those of any serving representative of the

Suez Veterans Association.

To return to the SVA website, click here.

Suez Veterans Forum page
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Memories

Jim, I can understand that, my late wife read a book about a priest in Malta and she asked if we could go there for a holiday, so we had a fortnight out there and we really enjoyed it, the people were friendly and helpful, my wife was in a wheelchair and at bus stops they used to carry the wheelchair on and off the bus for us, I too liked Valleta though rather hilly, the only thing I was not keen on was everybody driving in centre of the road until the last minute, so I realise why the bus drivers had religious icons hanging in the windscreen.

So I to would have had Malta or Cyprus but I did enjoy my time in Malaya although it was a bit hot and sticky.

Like you I was 25 when I returned, I was going to sign on for further service, but girlfriend said she did not want to be an Army wife so came out, she regretted it later when she saw my son and his time in service and his and his wife's married quarters, but that's life.

Cheers Rod

Rod, this thread you started is called "Memories" and you couldn't have picked a more appropriate title, because Memories is all we have left of this important sojourn in our lives. Or it would be all we had -- if it hadn't been for the tireless efforts of a group of veterans, like our own Tony Tolan, who took on the blind stubbornness of our government in Westminster and forced them to finally concede (from the comfort of the leather chairs in their London clubs) that we had earned a medal for our time in the deserts of the Suez Canal Zone.

However, back to "Memories":
we each had different experiences and, depending on where you were posted, they could be anything from downright squalid to living beside a Lido, with regular in-town visits. My own experiences were often of my own doing - good and bad. My camp was very small, we had less men than the crew of a WWII submarine. It's small size set it apart from what we usually associate with what is called "army life" e.g., rank meant very little ( first names were common) - it was difficult to put someone on a '252' and be sharing a beer with him that night.
I put my memory to test and started writing down the names of anyone I could recall from REME Station Workshops (Suez) and I came up with 44 and I don't think I missed a blessed soul (all ranks). Our total manpower was in the mid-forties.

Recalling each name was a great experience -- as I recalled their name, I heard their voice and their Geordie, Brummie or Glasgow accents and a fleeting look at a face from that time we spent in the Egyptian sun.

So Rod, "Thanks for the Memories" and Tony, thanks for the medal to pin on them.
I will keep them both.

Jim.

And thank you Jim for the chat, names I served I can no longer recall, they dimmed with age, best wishes to you and all reading this.

Cheers Rod