The Suez Veterans Association

The main aim of the Association is to re-kindle and promote a spirit of comradeship amongst those who served in the

Suez Canal Zone, Egypt.     

Welcome to this Forum provided by the Association.

Open to non-members.

You are invited to post a reply to any message, or start a new topic.

'Keep the Flag Flying' 

Opinions expressed in letters on these forum pages are those of each correspondent and are not necessarily those of any serving representative of the

Suez Veterans Association.

To return to the SVA website, click here.

Forum: Suez Veterans Forum page
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
A chance encounter

Dear all, I am a non-member so will be grateful if you would take the time to read my post in the hope that I will be able to somehow find the information I am looking for.

In the summer of 2007 I was sitting in Trafalgar Square waiting for some friends to return from an open-top bus tour in central London and I got talking to an elderly gentleman who described how he had been separated from his parents (and ten siblings) in a riot in Cairo at the age of five. He told me he had to survive on the streets for a long time and, had it not been for the kindness shown to him by a Major in the British army it is unlikely he would have survived.

His family had fled Russia and were in Cairo to get papers/passports and then, I believe, it was their intention to move somewhere else.

Ten years on from my meeting with this very interesting man I have decided to a story based loosely on the information he gave me, but I would like to be as factual as possible wherever I can be. I went to my local library and have searched the internet for information on life in Cairo from 1950 till 1960/65 but have found very little information that is useful.

The gentleman was not specific about when he was separated from his parents but I assume it had to have been somewhere around the "Black Saturday" riot on in January 1952.

In order to do the story credit I am trying to imagine what life would have been like for a "street-kid" in Cairo during that time and I thought it may be possible that someone in your association would be happy to share some insights.

Incidentally, the stranger was reunited with his family many years later (thanks to the heroic Major who managed to track them down in Australia) and was able to go and visit them. His father and most of his siblings were still alive but his poor mother had died not ever finding out what had happened to her little boy.

Thank you and best regards, David Brooke-Mee

Email   Non-member  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Free Blogs   Email Forms   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Tools 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com