The Suez Veterans Association

The main aim of the Association is to re-kindle and promote a spirit of comradeship amongst those who served in the

Suez Canal Zone, Egypt.     

Welcome to this Forum provided by the Association.

Open to non-members.

You are invited to post a reply to any message, or start a new topic.

'Keep the Flag Flying' 

Opinions expressed in letters on these forum pages are those of each correspondent and are not necessarily those of any serving representative of the

Suez Veterans Association.

To return to the SVA website, click here.

Forum: Suez Veterans Forum page
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Going and coming

Bob, my all-expenses-paid ocean going trip was yours in reverse.
I sailed out from Liverpool on the troopship "Lancashire" (an ancient old tub which was scrapped three years later). There were no cabins, except for officers and families. There were four decks with aisles of folding three tier bunks, I was in "D deck" which was down in the bowels. But it was all exciting times - we were on our way to the Suez Canal.

First stop Malta for a one day visit, but not before we were crashing through the Bay of Biscay and all praying, "Roll on death".
We didn't know it at the time but we were collecting memories to last us a lifetime.
After about twenty months in the Canal Zone I flew home in a Hermes (civilian airline) and spent some time in a disembarkation(?) camp near London, as we all waited for our different Demob dates. We had to hand in some of our gear and kept one uniform and field kit for our three year AER (Army Emergency Reserve) obligation.

And the rest is history. . . . I'm glad it included me.

JimW.

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Free Blogs   Free Guestbooks   Cheap Domains