The Suez Veterans Association

The main aim of the Association is to re-kindle and promote a spirit of comradeship amongst those who served in the

Suez Canal Zone, Egypt.     

Welcome to this Forum provided by the Association.

Open to non-members.

You are invited to post a reply to any message, or start a new topic.

'Keep the Flag Flying' 

Opinions expressed in letters on these forum pages are those of each correspondent and are not necessarily those of any serving representative of the

Suez Veterans Association.

To return to the SVA website, click here.

Forum: Suez Veterans Forum page
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Marriage between British Servicemen and Egyptian subjects

An update...

Regarding the MT Section WO referred to earlier, I have been reminded by a 1948/51 vintage Suez Vet that the WO and his family lived in an apartment above a general store on Avenue Sultan Hussein, just around the corner from Rue Negrelli, not in Arashia as stated earlier.
As most of the first anti-British riots and disturbances were directed towards Servicemens' homes in Arashia, the WO and his family escaped most of the violence experienced by other 'living out' families. Some of these families' homes were trashed and ransacked.
Further, I have been reminded that 'Mrs WO', an Egyptian Coptic-Orthodox Christian, had a sister also married to a British serviceman, this time a Senior NCO in the Catering Corps.

And that's all I have to say about that...

BB

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Online Photo Albums   Free Blogs   Email Forms