The Suez Veterans Association

The main aim of the Association is to re-kindle and promote a spirit of comradeship amongst those who served in the

Suez Canal Zone, Egypt.     

Welcome to this Forum provided by the Association.

Open to non-members.

You are invited to post a reply to any message, or start a new topic.

'Keep the Flag Flying' 

Opinions expressed in letters on these forum pages are those of each correspondent and are not necessarily those of any serving representative of the

Suez Veterans Association.

To return to the SVA website, click here.

Suez Veterans Forum page
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Going..... Going..... G o i n g .....

To all intents and purposes, this Forum is now kaput. I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that the 'Suez Veterans' Association' has already warned of its impending demise. Meanwhile, the 'Suez Canal News', after over 800 editions has already ceased publication. What is to become of us..?

However, all may not be lost. The Canal Zoners, founded in South Wales in 1995 appears to be going strong, in an attempt to keep flying the flag. Their quarterly 'Canal Zoners' magazine/newsletter is still a good read - keep it up, Patricia!

Nevertheless, here it appears inevitable - Going..... Going..... G o i n g ..... ???????????

BB

Re: Going..... Going..... G o i n g .....

Hi Bill,

I think you are correct, I also belong to Canal Zoners, may a good time to merge to prevent the sound of the "Last Post", with respect to Richard who tried so hard.

Cheers Rod

Now it appears inevitable - Going..... Going..... G o i n g .....

G O N E !

Ta-Ta...

BB

Hi Bill,

Wasn't it Sam Goldwyn who said "reports of my death are very much exaggerated"?

Cheers,

JDG

a.k.a. "umbasha mafateesh" RAFWBS

John, just to answer your question :
it wasn’t Sam Goldwyn . . . It was Mark Twain. But the message is just as powerful.

Did umbasha mean corporal? Shaweesh was sergeant; Imshie was “Scram!”; Kham falloose? Was “ How much?”
And then there were many others which wouldn’t get past the censor.

JimW.

Hi Jim,

You're right, both about the message and its source - I should've checked first, rather than rely on my decaying memory!

Sticking with last words for a tick, I do like those which Christopher Hitchens attributed to Voltaire. Asked by the priest "do you deny the devil and all his works", Voltaire is alleged to have said "this is no time to be making new enemies" - in French, of course.

Oops - nearly forget to answer your query, yes, "umbasha" was corporal, and the "mafateesh" was inspector. On the good old R.A.F. Welfare Bus Service I was lucky in my duties - accounts, admin, and occasionally helping out our 2-3 full-time inspectors in preying on our drivers and conductors.

Best regards to you Jim, and any other vet looking in.

John